![]() |
| Photo by Charles LeGresley |
There is something magical about being in nature. The sights, sounds and smells of the earth seem to lift our spirits and make us feel grounded, connected and whole. The smell of a pine tree, the crack of a snapping branch, the beauty of leaves changing colour, all of these serve as sources of inspiration and permit us to reflect on something bigger than ourselves.
As a naturopathic doctor it is my privilege to understand and share the healing gifts that nature offers us. Yet, I am quick to prescribe a nature in a bottle, rather than nature as itself, in its pure form. Now, not everything can be remedied by walking in the woods. But, as my elders have shown me, at the root of most health concerns is a pattern of disharmony or an imbalance that is always served by taking time to listen to the body, to hear what it is that is really going on and taking time out to be in nature offers us that opportunity. Furthermore, studies have shown that it does wonders for our stress levels. I know I feel calm when I am surrounded by trees and walking on a quiet path.
And so, a challenge. For my patients: find your nature cure! You will love it. Get out in the woods, walk along the beach, go somewhere secluded. For myself: practice what you preach. Focus less on nature in a bottle and more on nature.
Off for a walk in the woods I go!

No comments:
Post a Comment